Monday 8 May 2017

Unusually Dry Weather

The past 5 weeks have seen well below the seasonal average for rainfall. This has been a bonus for me and the cats in that we have been outside without the need for extra layers.

Mili inpsecting the ornamental grass beds
It will not be long before the hose pipe and watering can will be needed. One essential task will be dampening the soil for the addition of  nematodes. This is the first year I have ordered these biological wonders in my fight against the slugs. In the past I have been a very reluctant user of slug pellets and similar chemical products. Despite the environmentally friendly labels I am never too certain and do not like the thought that poisoned slugs will be eaten by other wildlife. Consequently, I have lost many a specimen to the slimy blighters. Hopefully nematodes will provide me with an answer. I shall report back.

However, the fine weather has afford a chance to appreciate the Pennine landscape from the vantage points at the top of the garden. There is little I enjoy more then taking up a cup of coffee in the late afternoon, putting my spade down and waiting for Mili and Hecate to come and join me in a well deserved 10 minute sit down.


Finally, the sunshine has also brought the front clematis out, the cherry tree at the top of the garden is in bloom and a nice little tub of "black and white" tulips on the terrace.





No comments:

Post a Comment