Thursday 12 October 2017

Shorter Days and Colder Nights


The cottage beds have now had the last of the potatoes harvested but there is still a little colour left in the flowers.The two cats are enjoying the limelight. Steps are now even closer to completion while posts and bricklaying are now complete. Treads and handrail still tbc. Autumn is very much about tidying up. Most of the lawns have been scarified and forked as deeply as I can. I find the advice about lawns quite contradictory, to brush sand into the holes or not? I think most gardens benefit from a little lawn but my goodness they are certainly the most time consuming part of the garden. My advice is grass is lovely but beware of becoming a slave to the lawn!

Days are noticeably shorter and temperatures are falling. I am awaiting the first frosts so the half hardy plants will be brought under cover. Agapanthus, dahlias and some of the lilies are now in the cold frame. This protection of the more tender plants is something the gardener should not take for granted. Learning what will survive in your garden is often a matter of trial and error, I have found to my cost that even plant labels can be misleading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment