Wednesday 26 September 2018

Past the Equinox

 The equinox has now passed and we are truly well into autumn. This is a time of the year I always enjoy. The sun is noticeably lower in the sky and the light it casts even well into mid morning is more evocative. This week I have been able to see my breath when out early in the garden and sadly the first frosts will not be too far behind. At this stage it is all hands to the deck protecting the half hardy and even more tender plants.

However, there are still jobs to be done. Hedges at the back are all trimmed, borders need tidying (deadheading is still important) and now the lawn will require some serious attention. Sadly, this is not a job I can get overly enthused about as my success rate with the lawn is pretty dismal! But I will continue to give it my best and for the time being resist the temptation to grub up even more grass for a new border or bed.

It is also rather nice that long, ice cold beverages are now giving way to the warming mugs of coffee. Gardening is a relaxing pastime but you must remember to make time for the occasional rest break. Top Tip: build time into the "to do job list for the day" to just sit down and chill, but wait, if you can, for that 15 minute hiatus when the sun comes out. The coffee will taste that much better with a bit of warmth on your back!

No comments:

Post a Comment