Sunday 13 January 2019

My Gardening Philosophy (reasons I enjoy gardening part 6)


Even in the depths of winter there is a lot to be said for getting outside and pottering in the garden. This week I have been able to swap over the contents of the different compost bays, tidied up a few of the dead material from some of the beds and done some work rearranging and repotting of the tubs on the patio. The garden still needs attention even if it just making a temporary repairs to the excavations made by the resident badgers.

It does us all good to get some fresh air and the mental well being you get from being outside is a really good reason to enjoy gardening especially at this time of the year. Even Hecate and Mili can be prompted to shrug  off their winter lethargy when they both come out into the garden to supervise the jobs.

The atmosphere may seem thick with the pervading mizzle that damps the fur but both cats get an obvious boost of vitality and energy from being outside, even if their appetite for the cold means they retreat indoors some time before their human! However, they have had their dose of the outside and I am certain have a renewed universal sense of well being.

"Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure happiness is no longer a possibility, yet when I talk with my gardener I am convinced of the opposite" Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

No comments:

Post a Comment